Sunday, August 2, 2009

Back to Reality and Summers End - for Me







I am sitting here at our family cabin enjoying the morning sunshine thinking about what tomorrow brings. . . .a class and return to school to prepare for a new year! Am I excited? Yes. Am I sad to see summer end? Yes. Even though we, as teachers, have a summer vacation, I doubt any of us would say school is never on our mind during the break. With classes to take and books to read, there is really never a break for a teacher in my mind. I am excited about this upcoming year as I have been building my "learning" this summer and will be trying various new activities, techniques, and structures with my class of 3rd graders. Four of the many professional books that I read recently are The Morning Meeting Book, Habitudes, and The Daily Five/The Cafe. Each with wonderful ideas and messages in them about various aspects of education. The other component of education that I am very excited about is the use of technology and all it has to offer! As you can see, I have ventured into blogging and love it! The students in my class this year will be blogging through a "bloggers cafe" I plan to set up in the classroom, hopefully blogging with other 3rd graders around the US or world. We will also utilize a "Blogger of the Day" to blog about what's happening in our classroom for parents and friends to read and follow. Exciting! We will continue using podcast as well, with the hope of using videocasting (cross your fingers we figure that out). I am also eagerly hunting for different grants to apply for as I would love to get some iTouches for the students to use in the classroom. There is just so much out there that it is an exciting time to be in education! And yes, truth be told, I am a "twitter" junky- but there is so much information out there to be shared among PLNs! Love it!

So, as I sit here watching my children on the lake (delaying cleaning the cabin and finishing the laundry), I am teary eyed to see the great week we have had at the family cabin come to an end but am motivated and excited to start a new school year! It has been a superb summer and I know it will be a wonderful school year. Enjoying every moment - that's what life is about!

No comments:

Post a Comment