Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Spelling City - Review for Science Test Next Week

I have introduced the online program/game of "Spelling City" to the students through our word study in literacy but I am also going to be using as a review for students to use for the upcoming science test of plants and animals.

Your child will be bringing his/her Plant and Animal Populations book home this Friday to start studying material that will be covering in the assessment.  I am planning on the assessment being sometime next week, either Tuesday or Wednesday.  I will let you know, but I wanted to give the students enough time to start looking over and rereading the materials.

Along with that, I have posted some vocabulary words that will be covered in the assessment online through a site called "Spelling City".  Your child has used it via the iPad to review and practice word study words so he/she should be familiar with the site.  Many have not done it online though so I showed them today.

Here are the basic steps to getting to the site and practicing the vocabulary words for the assessment:
1.  Open internet and type in http://www.spellingcity.com/ (I have also put the link on the side of my blog so you can also just "click" on the link there or the one above.)
2.  Select "Find a Class" on the bar of options
3.  Type in my name, "kim kerian", and search "by teacher".
4.  Click search
5.  This should take you to a menu of words.  Select the list titled "Plant and Animal Populations"
6.  Click on "Play Games"
7.  This will take you to a menu of games.  I encouraged the students to do the "vocabulary" games as review and practice.  They can also do the spelling games if they would like, but they really need to focus on the vocabulary activities.

Hopefully this will make studying for the assessment a little more enjoyable.  Please encourage your child to review the words many times before next Tuesday or Wednesday as it will be very beneficial (hint, hint).

Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment