Thursday, October 11, 2012

Reading Strategies....Looking for Evidence

I wanted to make a quick post about how literacy is going.  We have buzzed through our first week of our theme on "Changes".  Our focus for the past week has been working on the strategies of determining important information, determining author's purpose, using text evidence to answer questions, and recognizing synonyms.  We also just started talking about the prefixes that mean "non", such as "un", "non", "im", and "in".

Please remember that there are various online activities your child can work on at home to help with their reading strategies and skills besides reading a book.  I have many listed on the side of my blog that work on synonyms and author's purpose.  Students can practice the focus skills and strategies from our literacy series at home at any time.

There is also a description of the strategies, such as "Determining Important Information", listed on the side of my blog page as well.  I encourage you to discuss whatever your child is reading at home and ask them about what the important information is from their reading.  What is the author trying to teach or tell them?

I will continually update/add more online activities and reading strategy descriptions on my blog page, but I wanted to make sure parents were aware of them.  The students are aware of everything on the blog page, but they sometimes forget what they can be working on at home.  Read! Read! Read! (and work on the strategies given on the blog page).

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment