Thursday, October 18, 2012

Important Information About Conferences and Picture Retakes

Well, it is Thursday and the week is flying by!  Where does the time go?  The students often comment about how quickly the day goes by, so obviously, we are busy!

I just wanted to send a quick reminder about signing up for conferences.  Conferences are coming up in  a few weeks.  A letter was sent home last week with information on how to sign up online.  That is a parent's responsibility as there will not be paper copies sent home for parents to sign up.  If you do not have internet access, please call Linda at 547-2300 and she will get you signed up. You can also call her if you are having troubles getting into the necessary login site.   I look forward to chatting with you in a few weeks about your 3B student!

The students have been reviewing and working hard in preparation for their first real science test.  We had the main part yesterday and will be doing some "hands on" activities and short answer questions today and tomorrow.  Please remember to have our child return his/her science book as soon as possible so that I can collect them.  I will be showing the students their scores on the assessment sometime next week, but I will not be sending them home.  I plan to hold on to them to share with parents at conferences.

October 23rd has been scheduled as the day for picture retakes.  If anyone would like to have their picture taken over, please send back the original pictures and retakes will be done that morning.  Students who were absent will also have the chance to have their pictures taken then as well.

I also wanted to quickly give parents a heads up if their child came home saying Mrs. Kerian was gone for a few days this week.  That is true.  I am on MANY committees in our school district and one with the state of Iowa for the NE Iowa STEM Advisory Board.  These meetings, although I would rather be with the students, are part of my professional duty and obligation as a teacher.  Usually, they are spread out, but this week has been a little rough as I was gone for two days in a row.  The students have expressed they do not like it when I am gone, and I do not like it either, but it just happens. When I am gone, I have everything ready for the sub and use the same routine as if I were there that we use every day.   For the most part, the students have been good for the subs, but we still have a few issues with respect and responsibility that we are working through. So, if your child states that I was gone a few times the last few weeks, please don't think I am out taking the day off just because.  Professionally, I am a learner as well and being on committees is part of my continued learning and involvement.

Enjoy the rest of the week.  We are working really hard to share some great things with you at conferences!  Right 3B? :)


No comments:

Post a Comment