Monday, February 27, 2012

Back at It! Read Across America Week!

Thank you to all the students who used their school email to send me emails while I was on vacation!  It was fun to read them every day and know what was going on!  I had a super time in Jamaica enjoying the 85-90 degree weather daily!  It was relaxing and exactly what I needed!  If only I could have brought back some of that weather as it sounds as if we may be in for a last minute winter storm tomorrow and Wednesday.  I am hoping not as I do not want to miss any more days of school.  I guess we will wait and see!

Thank you to the students as well for their great behavior while I was gone.  There were a few bumps in the road, but that is expected.  Overall, everything went well.  Thanks for being so respectable and responsible 3B!

I also forgot to make a post about how proud I was of the students and their student-led conferences!  Wow!  They all did fabulous and should be proud of themselves as well!!!!

So now that we are back at it, I would like the students to have their realistic fiction at home reading done by the end of the week and return the books that were sent home.  After a quick review of adjectives and word choice, we will be moving into a new genre in writing and new books will come home.  If your child has finished his/her reading at home and has already returned their book, they can select what they would like to read at home.  Please continue reading though as that is so important!

February Book-It calendars are due this week.  I would like them returned by the latest, this Friday.  I will be sending home March reading calendars on Wednesday.

The 3rd quarter ends this Friday!  I can't believe it already, but 4th quarter is around the corner.  It seems like once 4th quarter hits, the weeks go too quickly with so much to do!  Yikes!  I am not sure of the exact date report cards will be sent home, but I will let you know.

A letter is being sent home today about "Read Across America" week.  Each child needs to bring a healthy snack for our "cross grade level reading" this Friday.  The note explains everything as well.  If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.  We will be doing various activities around Dr. Seuss and Read Across America.  I showed the students the "Seussville" online site that they can go on via the Internet and play games, watch Dr. Seuss movies, and tons more.  Some tried it today, but due to the demand and number of students on it during the day, the site was very slow.  I would encourage them to try at home maybe at a time when there is not so much Internet traffic on the site as there is during the day.

One activity the school is participating in for Read Across America is making book covers.  The students have selected a favorite book to illustrate the cover on one page and a favorite part on the other.  Some students are bringing this home to work on as they started in art and are running out of time to finish.  Please have them finish the activity and bring it back to school tomorrow.  Remind them to work neatly as they will be "wearing" the book cover on Wednesday in front of others.

Our tissue/kleenex supply is running low.  We only have a few boxes left to make it through the year.  If you have an extra box at home or are willing to donate a box of tissues to 3B, we would appreciate it (as would our noses).  Thanks!

Have a great week and let's hope that snowstorm makes a detour! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment