Monday, March 4, 2013

Reminders on Cadet Pride and Character Counts

These crazy snow days have thrown many of the students off routine.  Last week I was gone a day to meetings, and that did not help either with student behavior as sadly, I have some students who think because I am gone, they can be disrespectful to the sub.  Others, I was very proud of for being respectful and responsible.

As a reminder to encourage positive behavior, we do Cadet Pride tickets.  I know everyone is familiar with those so I will not be going into detail about them.  They focus on the positive, as it should be!

I am seeing a lot more inappropriate behaviors that are not Cadet Pride choices, so we are going to try something.  In the past, the 3rd grade teachers used a sheet called "Character Counts Communique". We have not used it this year, but a few of us are starting this week with it.   It is a sheet students fill out when they are NOT demonstrating good character.  While it is the opposite of Cadet Pride, students are reminded what they need to work on changing.  With some of the behaviors I saw from students in 3B last week, there is a need for more accountability as well as communication to parents if problems arise.   The students mark the pillar that they broke, write about the behavior as well as what they will do to make sure it does not happen again.  The sheets are then sent home for parents to sign and return to school the next day.

I hope that I will not be sending many home, but I wanted to make parents aware of what these sheets are if they do appear.  Please discuss with your child the pillar they broke and what they can do to make sure it does not happen again.  Then return the sheet signed, by the following day.

Thank you for helping build good character in our students.  My main focus is the positive behaviors demonstrated with Cadet Pride, but we have some little issues that we also need to put to a stop.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me.  Thanks for your help and cooperation.  Let's get more Cadet Pride tickets 3B by demonstrating good character!  You can do it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment