Monday, September 24, 2012

Busy Week Ahead!

I hope everyone enjoyed the beautiful weekend, even if it was a little chilly!  It was super to have a Cadet win Friday night at the football game for Homecoming!  Go Cadets!  I ran into a lot of my 3B family at the game, which was wonderful!  I think everyone enjoyed the dress up days last week as well!

First off, an apology.  I said that I would be sending book orders home last week......and it slipped my mind.  I forgot.   Sometimes there is too much going on in my head that I forget the simple things like book orders.  Anyway, I am sending them today and would appreciate it they were returned by this Friday.  You may write a check or send cash if you are ordering books.  Please make the checks out to me, Kim Kerian, as I order the books online so that they come quicker.  I use my own credit card for that purpose so it is easier if you make checks out to me so that I can cash them and order the books.  If you are ordering from more than one book club, as I often send more then one, please just add the totals together.

Students will also start checking books out from our classroom library to take home and read.  Remember that I would like the students to read every night as that is their main piece of homework every night being we do not have a ton of homework in 3rd grade.  Reading is the most important.  When your child finishes the book he/she has checked out from the classroom, he/she should return it to get a new one.  I am very pleased with the students' "Read to Self" stamina and how much some of them are really "getting into" their books!!!!  Keep it up 3B!

Here are some of the activities we have been working on in 3B:
     1.  In literacy we are building our stamina for the Daily 5 in Read to    Self, Read to Someone, and Work on Writing.  Today,  Monday, we launched "Word Works" as the 4th component of the Daily 5 that students will be rotating through each day during literacy.  We have also started discussing strategies to use when you come to a word you are unsure of.  I am wrapping up Dibels assessments today and we should be jumping into Lead 21, our literacy series.
     2.  Math - Students are finishing up their unit 1 assessment that some did not get done last
Thursday being Friday was an early out.  Tomorrow, Tuesday, we will be starting unit 2 which covers addition and subtraction.  Just a reminder that there are many online games to reinforce our math skills and topics on the side of my blog page.  Students have been introduced to most of them and enjoy learning via the internet.  If your child is home with "nothing to do", have them get on my blog page and practice their math skills.
     3.  Science - Our plants are growing like crazy waiting for our "guest" to come this week.
Surprisingly, some of our brine shrimp from the second week of school are still alive and the students are enjoying watching them.  This week we will be taking a little "field trip" out to the flower garden to look for plants and animals as well as start analyzing our special guest.  Some students will be finishing their insect videos as well on Videolicious.  See some that are done posted below.
 
That is just a summary of some of the activities and things we have been working on.  Throw in writing on our blog pages and various iPad activities, and the students are having a super time!

Please note the post below about the "Great Cardboard Challenge".  Information is coming home today about planning and helping your child participate in this activity.  The students are VERY excited!  If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Just a little reminder to keep checking your child's blog page and commenting.  They look forward to comments from outside the school!

Enjoy the week and keep checking back for most post throughout the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment