Thursday, November 10, 2011

BURR! It's Cold Outside!

Old Man Winter decided to make his appearance early this week!  Wow!  It is chilly!  Just a quick reminder to make sure students are dressed appropriately for this weather, especially for the mornings before school.  I have had some students come without coats this week, and I have had to hunt down extra coats or things for them to wear.  Please help them be responsible as well as warm enough outside for the upcoming weather.  I also suggested to the students to throw an extra pair of socks in their bag in case the ones they are wearing end up getting wet.  We had a lot of wet socks in 3B yesterday so having extra socks and gloves/mittens is a good idea.

Some students have turned in their interviews and research for our first Inquiry Projects. Thank you so much for being responsible.   Information about the project and your child's part of the project were sent home on Tuesday.  Please remember to help your 3B student complete his/her portion of the project as they are due tomorrow, Friday, November 11th.  We will then start putting together the different information gathered and start developing our small group presentations.  Students are very excited about this type of learning!    I am anxious to see what they come up with for presentations.

"Busy" is a perfect word to describe 3B lately.  We are working through a variety of activities, and the days are flying by.  Students are amazed when I say it is time for lunch, and they haven't even realized how quickly the morning has gone by!  It is wonderful!

In math we started our new unit on measurement. Students have been introduced to measuring to the nearest half, whole, and quarter of an inch, as well as by foot and yard.  We also ventured into the metric system and have looked at millimeters, centimeters, and meters.  They have been measuring all over the room and having a great time doing it!  Next week we will start looking into perimeter and area as well as continuing to review measurement. Even though we may not be working on addition and subtraction, it is a good idea to keep reviewing basic facts at home.  Students need that constant review to get them down quickly.

Last week I showed the students how our new literacy series, Lead 21, has a "chat area" in which I can post a question or comment and the students can respond with one another via the computer.  They thought they were so cool and some said they felt like they were on Facebook.  :)  Well, it is not Facebook but it is a way I will start posting thoughts and questions for students to think about and respond to.  Information will be sent tomorrow about how to log in to Lead 21 so your child can continue to play our vocabulary games, reread material, and start "chatting" with me via the computer.  If your child does not have the Internet at home, don't worry.  I am going to make arrangements for those students to stop in in the morning and jump on a computer either in the classroom or our Discovery Center.  We will work that out so that no one is left out or can't utilize the technology that comes with our literacy series.

Just a reminder that we have a small quiz over the oceans and continents tomorrow.  A note and study sheet was sent home yesterday, on Wednesday, with information.  Please review the oceans and continents with your child (even though I think they know them very well) so they are ready for the quick quiz on Friday.

I hope everyone is handling the homework that is being sent home.  As I told parents at conferences, homework will be sent home more often than it was in the first quarter.  While it is often small and not too time consuming, some activities that are going to start next week take a little more time.  Continue to help build that responsibility in your child encouraging them to get any homework done.  I appreciate your help and support!

Last comment is about book orders.  Last week I sent in the book orders that students recently returned.  While I usually do them online so they get sent to us quicker, I had to mail these orders in due to the fact that many checks were made out to Scholastic and not me.  That is fine, it just makes it so I can't order online.  Please remember that it is easier to write the check to me as I use my credit card to order the books online so they arrive quicker.  Any questions, feel free to contact me.  Hopefully the books will be here by the end of next week as it takes longer with mail in orders.

Have a super week and stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment