Sunday, October 23, 2011

Parent Teacher Conferences This Week!

I hope that you are enjoying the end of this beautiful weekend we had!  If only it would stay like this throughout the winter.  I know I would be happy.  :)

I am excited to see everyone this week for parent-teacher conferences!  I have lots to share and am eager to chat with all the parents!  If for some reason something comes up and you can not make it to your scheduled conference time, please call the school and Linda will answer to let me know.  Hopefully that won't happen, but I know things come up sometimes.  Otherwise, I will see all of you this week!

We have been busy in 3B working away, as usual.  The students are in a really great routine for literacy and pushing through our new literacy program.  Some of the strategies and skills that we have been working on are recognizing author's purpose, determining important information, recognizing synonyms, reading fluently, understanding and using the prefix of /un/....and so much more.  We have added our last component of the Daily 5, titled "Read About" and it involves listening to reading.  I sent a note home last week that gave you your child's log in and password to do this online program at home at any time.  I am anxious to hear if any of the students worked on it over the weekend.  Students will be assigned 2 days during the week to work through the program at school during the day, but it is great if they can do it at home or the library when they have free time.  I will be sending a note home soon that will explain how to get your child online to our new literacy program as they can listen to their guided reading books, play games, and do some much more there as well.  Look for that to come home soon.

Addition and subtraction of large numbers is our topic in math right now.  While some are getting their facts down quickly, others are not.  I would encourage the students to work on their math facts at home through the online games on my blog page to continue to build the recall of their addition and subtraction facts.  This will make the process of solving larger numbers with addition and subtraction a little easier.  I am feeling pretty confident that they are grasping addition of large numbers fairly well so I will be sending some homework to reinforce what we have worked on the past week.  Once we get through subtraction securely, I will be sending some homework home for that as well.

Last week, during our "tech time", students were shown how to make a "wordle".  Some students did finish one and were able to print it in black and white.  They had a great time with this online activity and will find they will be able to use it as a presentation device.  The address is up in the corner of my blog page as many students wanted me to post it for them to try at home.  There you go 3B.  :)

Thank you for those parents who are signing off our poems the last two weeks.  We are using them to work on reading fluently and reading the punctuation.  I know that we started with a simple poem, but that will lay the foundation for us to continually work on fluency when reading.  Thus far we have discussed the importance of rereading and reading the punctuation to build fluency.  I will be sending home a note for an activity in which your 3B child needs to bring in a picture book that he/she has practiced reading fluently.  They will be orally reading their book to a small group of peers to work on building fluency.

I have posted the video from our last poem called "How to Torture Your Teacher".  Yes, they did get a kick out of this poem.  (You will not see it on a printed copy of my blog page.  You will have to go to my blog page via the internet to view.)

Enjoy and have a great week!  I will see you at parent-teacher conferences!

No comments:

Post a Comment