Sunday, February 7, 2010

Student Led Conferences, Valentines Day, and Book Reviews


Well, I think the students are ready to share their thoughts and reflections of their learning in 3rd grade. Yes, they are a little nervous, but I am sure it will go fine. We have practiced many times so they know the routine. Please remember that when you arrive for your conference, do not stand outside the room and wait for the person in the room to get done or we will get very behind in schedule. Just come in and get started as your 3B child will be leading the conference without me. I will initially start off to the side and then casually join the discussion as your child works his/her way through their information. So come on in and get started. I am excited to hear what your child has to share with you and will see you soon!

This Wednesday we have a special activity planned. Our Podcast Pals from Luther will be coming over to Crestwood Elementary at 2:30 to officially meet us and do some fun activities! They are just starting their semester so this will be a kick off to start back up on our podcast readings. 3B students will be showing their podcast pal around the room, telling them about how our day goes, and reading with their partner. Hopefully the weather will hold out as the students are eager to meet their Luther pals. Me too!!!

I recently sent a note home about Valentines. Because I will be gone next week on vacation, I would like to celebrate Valentines day, along with our "Caring Celebration" this Thursday afternoon, February 11th. As stated in the note sent home last week, students are not required to bring Valentines. It is totally their choice. But if they do, they must bring one for everyone in the class. A classlist was sent home, but if you need another please let me know. Those parents who volunteered to send snacks for our second "Character Counts" celebration should send their snacks to school on Thursday. (I sent a note to those parents today or called them.) Parents do not need to attend this celebration as we will be doing an activity showing how we care about one another. Remember that the snack sent can not contain peanuts. I will supply the paper products and beverage. Thanks so much!

We are starting a new activity this week that I am very excited about. In literacy, we have been discussing author's purpose and have now moved into book reviews used as a way to persuade others to read certain books. Last week we took some time to look at students written, podcast, or video book reviews from around the US. Now it is our turn! I have created new blog pages for each student on a class blog page (I will send the link so you can see them when we are ready) and students will be writing a book review this week to be posted on the web. In a few weeks, students will created a video book review that will be shared via the web/blog as well. I hope to utilize the blogs in various other ways as well as the year goes on in all curriculum areas, but we are just getting started. Yes, some students have been writing book blogs on my web page, but I have not been satisfied because no one can comment back on the program we have been using. Therefore, we are going to try this out which will allow you, as parents, and other students from around the world to respond/comment to post made by 3B. Look for a note to be sent home at the end of the week sharing the site to visit to read all of the book reviews by 3B! Fun times!

Remember that I will be gone all of next week as I am going on vacation with my husband - getting away from this winter weather! I need some serious sunshine and warm weather! I know the students will be in good hands and I have everything prepared for the sub. I would appreciate a few reminders from parents during that week to encourage their 3B child to be on their best behavior as sometimes students think they can goof off when the teacher is away. Not my 3B angels! I will check in with the students in the middle of the week to see how things are going. If you have a message for me that week or need to get ahold of the sub, please send a written note or call the school and chat with Linda. She will then get the information to the sub in my room.

Keep working on those multiplication facts at home. Even though we are wrapping up our unit on multiplication, I will continue to assess students on their facts working towards the "Walking Taco" party towards the end of March/beginning of April. I am very impressed with many students as I have done a lot of assessing already and am pleased at how the students are practicing on their own. Remember that there are many activities on my webpage that students can use to review their facts - a lot more fun to do it this way as well. :) We will be moving into our next unit of reaidng and writing large numbers up to the millions soon.

Have a great week! Remember that there is no school on Friday, February 12th, due to teacher compensation day for conferences. Also remember that Monday and Thursday of this week are 1 hour early outs as conferences are scheduled on those days. Have a great Valentine's Day weekend with your child!

See you at conferences!

No comments:

Post a Comment