Monday, October 5, 2009

Homecoming! Go Cadets! New York City!


Can you believe it is October already! I can't! Wow! Time is going by so quickly. Soon it will be parent teacher conferences!

We have a very busy week with lots going on so I thought I would post everything. As you know, it is Homecoming week. To celebrate, students can participate in fun dress up days. Today was wear your favorite sports jersey or team. I had lots of kids in Iowa State colors! Yippee!!! :) Many in Vikings jerseys also for the big game tonight! Go Vikes! Tuesday is wear pink day for cancer awareness as the Crestwood Cadets volleyball team will take on Decorah in a battle to win as well as raise money for cancer research. Hope to see you there to support the Crestwood volleyball team! Wednesday is wear your favorite hat day. Thursday is wear athletic clothes (running pants, sweatshirts etc.) Friday is blue and white day . . .obviously. So we will be having a lot of fun with our dress up days to support the football team. Along with this, we will be having a pep assembly this Friday for Crestwood K-8 at 9:30 at the football stadium. The jr. high cheerleaders will lead us in cheers and activities to get pumped up for the big game.

On Wednesday, October 7th, students at Crestwood Elementary will attend a character counts assembly titled "Strength Training". This assembly will be held at the elementary school so no travel is needed. I'm excited to see what "Strength Training" will teach the kids about Character Counts as it is a large part of our guidance and behavior discussions!

On Thursday, the Crestwood K-8 students along with the high school students will participate in "Fall Fitness Day". This is a time set aside to encourage students to be more active. Our class will be matched up with a high school class that will lead us to different places/stations for walking and exercise. Thus the reason for "Fitness Clothes" on Thursday for Homecoming. We will be walking from 2:20ish until 3:00. The theme of this is "Keep a positive attitude! Keep your bodies moving! Have fun!" Being aware of food and fitness is a big push in education right now so I am sure this will not be the last of this type of fun activity. Please be sure your child wears tennis shoes on Thursday. Lucky us, it is a PE day so they should have them on anyway.

Friday, Homecoming, is a 3 hour early out. This is also the day of the Pep Assembly for Crestwood K-8. With the 3 hour early out, the hope is that students and family will have time to attend the Homecoming Parade at 2:30 then join the Cadets in cheering them on to a big win at Friday night's football game.

So you can see that our time will be choppy this week. I hope to send home Unit 1 math assessments by this Wednesday, but I still have a few students who were absent and need to finish. If you don't see them on Wednesday, they will probably not be sent home until next Monday. We will be moving into Unit 2, which is largely on addition and subraction of 2-3 digit numbers so please work on basic addition/subtraction facts with your child at home. I will be sending more Home Link activity sheets home as well with this unit for continued practice.

I am totally enjoying our days together and the students are in a super routine. I think a favorite time of the day has become our start, Morning Meeting, and literacy, which takes all morning. Students are excited to start literacy/Daily 5 and everyone is enjoying getting started at Guided Reading. We have built our "work on writing" stamina up to 22 minutes! Way to go 3B! Once we get to 30 minutes, I will introduce the last of the Daily 5, "listen to reading". Students are excited about this aspect of the Daily 5 as they will be using the computer and/or iPods to listen to reading. I am already seeing great progress since the beginning of the year in all areas!

On a final note, I wanted to let parents know that I will be gone this Wednesday, October 7th - Sunday, October 11th. I have a birthday this week so my sister and I are hopping on a plane and heading to New York City for a few days of fun in the Big Apple as a birthday gift from my husband. I have complete faith in my sub and have written everything out for her to the tiniest detail. My 3B students know I will be gone and also know that I expect them to be on their best behavior, like always. I will not be responding to phone calls at school so if you need something, leave a message with Linda and she will let my sub know. The other option is to send a written note for your child to give to the substitute. I always bring back gifts for your students when I take a trip so they are very curious on what they will be getting. . . . hoping they are the perfect angles that they are!!!! :)

Have a great week! Go Cadets!

No comments:

Post a Comment