Monday, January 16, 2012

Decimals, Levers, Multiplication Facts and Realistic Fiction

Hopefully everyone is enjoying their nice, long weekend.  Although I am sitting at meetings today, it is nice that the students had an extra day to relax.

As the title to my blog states, we are jumping into decimals in math.  While it is challenging to start with, students are grasping the concepts as long as we model it with base 10 blocks and use the language of "longs" for tenths and "cubes" for hundredths.  I also try to relate it to money as dimes are "tenths" and pennies are "hundredths".  We will be working on decimals this week as well.  I will also be adding some online games to the right of my blog that focus on place value, but some of the "place value" online games listed already do contain decimal place value.  Keep practicing them at home as well as reviewing multiplication facts.

Levers....our first simple machine for science.  While we are just getting started with simple machines, the students have a great understanding of force and motion thanks partly to our previous literacy theme on "Science and Sports".  We will be experimenting with friction and motion Wednesday and Thursday as well.

As writers, we are going to leap into the genre of realistic fiction and pull in some "word choice" activities and lessons.  I would like to connect this to some independent reading.  Sometime this week, I will be sending home a realistic fiction book for your child to read at home.  A letter will be sent as well explaining responses/activities I would like the students to do as well to build their comprehension skills as well as fluency.  Each 3B child will be responsible for reading the book at home and doing the activities.  (The letter will explain more, but I wanted to give you a heads up.)    Look for the book to be sent by the end of the week.

Miss Ogden, our JTerm student from Luther, has taken over the read aloud to the students at the end of the day.  She has also been working with small groups throughout the day (with my guidance) to gain a better understanding of teaching as well as students.  She is fitting in well, and we are lucky to have her!

A letter is coming home today or tomorrow explaining an incentive activity we are doing to encourage students to work on their multiplication facts.  It is called the "Walking Taco" celebration, and the details are explained in the letter.  When your child has mastered a fact family (such as the 5 family), please have them let me know so that I can assess them quickly and they can begin practicing other facts.  If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

You may have noticed that I have added something new to the right of the blog.  I am hoping that by sharing some comprehension strategies we are working on at school, parents can reinforce them at home as well when students are reading.  I am just getting started and have listed a few with more to come.  Definitions, ways to help at home, and online practice will be included once I get it going.  (Give me a few days to finish those that are there, please.)  If you have any questions about any of these, feel free to contact me.

Enjoy the rest of the week and stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment