Monday, May 2, 2011

Very Important Information! The Good and the Bad

It looks like it might try to start acting more like spring now that May has hit.  Too bad it has been a cold and rainy month of April, although it has kept the students a little calmer.  Well, May is here.  The countdown begins.  The students and I were just discussing all that we have to get done this month, and it is A LOT!

The students are working hard on their biography projects.  They have started writing their presentations, learned how to download pictures and photos from the Internet, and today we start using the Flip Camera to make videos and learn how to upload video to our laptops.  There are a lot of preparation steps to do before we can begin making our Animoto "Book Trailer" that is similar to a movie trailer.  The students are loving it, who doesn't love learning new technology?  We are aiming to have all activities complete by Thursday, May 12th.  I would like to then have a dress rehearsal on Monday, May 16th.  That is when students must have their costumes, props, and materials ready.  We will go through it as if the parents were here watching.  I am then aiming to have the Hall of Fame and inviting parents, grandparents, etc. sometime on Tuesday, May 17th.  It will probably be the last hour of the day, but I am still checking on some schedules.  So what I need the students to start doing at home is gathering their costumes together and any props they would like to have out.  Soon, you will be seeing the students bring home their oral presentations to practice as well.  They need to be responsible to practice at home as it is nice to have much of the oral presentations memorized.

Start thinking of what your child needs for his/her costume that represents the person he/she read about and have it ready by May 16th.  Thank you.  If you have any questions, feel free to let me know.

Next Friday is our big field trip to Wabasha, Wisconsin.  With this field trip, students will need to arrive at school before a "normal day", as the buses will pull out at 7:30.  To make you aware of this and start planning, there will be many sheet sent home this Thursday with information about the upcoming field trip.  Please be looking for those sheets of information as some of them need to be returned to the school with signatures.  The information will include departure times, what is allowed on bus, medication forms, etc.  Please be looking for those this Thursday.  Our three chaperones for this trip are Emma's mom, Libby's mom, and Kailyn's mom, with Madison's mom as a possibility if we need her.  Thank you to those parents who volunteered to go along!  It's going to be a super time!

My last comment is one I am sad to have to talk about again, but it is needed.  The students may have told you that the last two weeks I have been gone some days due to district meetings (April is a crazy month of meetings).  Anyway, last week when I was gone a day, the behavior of many 3B students was very disrespectful and rude towards that sub and classmates.  There was a lot of arguing, shouting, attacks made towards each other, rude/bully games being played at recess, and just disrespect to her and other classmates.  It was not just "one or two" students, it was a majority.  Mrs. McCabe was involved in some discussions, and the students and I had a beneficial chat when I returned Friday morning.  I believe it is all about choices, as many of these things do not happen unless their is a sub.  The students know better than to do many of the things that did happen.  So, after my talk with the students and with Mrs. Sovereign as well, she and I have decided that if there are any more behaviors or problems that occur involving disrespect, threating, bullying, irresponsibility, those students demonstrating those problems WILL NOT go on the field trip next Friday.  I have discussed this with the students.  They know Mrs. Sovereign is supporting this because the behaviors demonstrated by many while I was gone last Thursday were extremely rude.  If your child is not allowed to go on the field trip due to his/her behavior demonstrated, I will be sure to give you a call, as I would anyway.  Your child will then attend school for the normal hours and sit in the office or Mr. Wiley's classroom working on schoolwork all day.  It will NOT be a day to stay home and have off!

I hate to go this route, but the behavior of some students needs to stop and Mrs. Sovereign feels there needs to be a consequence.  I agree.

I must say that it was not all students.

Hopefully we can pull through this idea of "goofing off and bullying" when Mrs. Kerian is gone to meetings as these behaviors don't happen when I am here.  It totally does break my heart to know I have a great class and return to comments left by a sub that show they were not "that great".  Disappointing is a better word.  I have one more meeting next week....hopefully it will all go smoothly.  Crossing my fingers.

One a different note, the upcoming "Walking Taco" party will be held in the near future for those students who made it.  Once I set a date with the other 3rd grade teachers, we will be sending a note home to let you know.
Have a great week and enjoy the sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment