Monday, April 4, 2011

Hello Strangers! Where is Mrs. Kerian?

Hello everyone.  I know it has been a long time since I have posted a blog.  Life is pretty crazy right now in Mrs. Kerian's world, with committees, kids' schedules, and life, so I do apologize.  You haven't been forgotten.  :)

As the note sent last week from Mrs. Sovereign stated, we will be starting MAPs testing today.  To help the students understand the importance of these tests, they have each set goals in which they would like to reach for each of the four test given (math, reading, language and science).  Students will be working hard to take ownership in increasing their scores from the fall, which I have no doubt in my mind they will.  Please help out this week by making sure that your child eats a healthy breakfast and gets enough rest at night.  We will be starting test today and continue on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.  If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me.  It is also very helpful to schedule dentist or doctor appointments around these testing days so that the children can take the test with their classmates and feel comfortable.  Thanks for you help and cooperation!

I thought I needed to make a comment about lunches.  I realize that I am not the one paying for everyone's lunches, nor do I feel everyone should eat all of their lunch every day.  We all don't like everything on a school lunch.  I do feel I have MANY students not eating ANYTHING at lunch and just wanted to post a quick comment about it.  Please discuss with your child the importance of eating lunch, what they like, so they can have some "brain power" for the afternoon.  When I see a child take ketchup for their fries, but they don't eat any, I do encourage them to eat some as it appears if the intentions were there. Some of the students are not happy with me when I say, "You took ketchup for your fries so please eat 5," but I do worry that they are not eating anything.  Again, I do not say, "You must clean your plate" or even close.  Just want to make sure they get some nourishment in their system. I hope you do not think I am overstepping on anyone's toes.  I don't want it to appear that way.  I just want parents to be aware that many students are not eating anything for lunch.  Part of the issue is our time to eat is short and many students want to socialize.  Don't we all?  :)   So please have a chat with your 3B students just to remind them of the importance of food for "brain power".

A fun activity the students will be starting tomorrow is our biography project.  (I mentioned this a month ago but we ran into some problems with the computers).  We have been reading and discussing biographies and autobiographies in depth.  Now the students are ready to read and prepare for our activity we call the "Hall of Fame".  They are very excited about it.  I am excited as well because we are trying something new this year with a computer program called "Animoto".  So... please look for information to be sent home with your child tomorrow as well as a contract and a book to read.  Fun times!!!

The Crestwood 3rd graders will venture north on their "big" field trip in May.  We are going to Lark Toys in Kellogg and an Eagle Museum in Wabasha on May 13, 2011.  This is a Friday (yes, we are crazy for taking kids on a field trip on Friday the 13th!).  Each class is taking along 3 chaperones.  If you are interested in going along, please email me or call me to let me know.  If I have more than 3 parents volunteer to chaperone, all names will go in a hat to be drawn fairly.  The kids are excited and there will be more information shared as the day approaches.

We wrapped up our unit in science on Force and Motion.  I still have one student who missed part of the test who needs to finish but I hope to get those assessments sent home this week with students.  Some parents have been anxiously waiting for those results.  I will be putting letter grades on the assessments (some parts) so that students can see what type of grade they would have gotten if they were in 4th grade.  (Trying to prepare them for 4th grade).  We started our next unit in social studies on "communities" as well.

Congratulations to the few people who have earned the "Walking Taco" party by knowing all their multiplication facts.  Students have until the end of April to master all their facts and participate in the Walking Taco party.  Keep practicing!  Taylor comes over to do assessments every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday!  You can do it!

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment