Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Welcome Back!


I was so excited to see the students this morning as I have missed them greatly! I did enjoy having a little time off for break though so that was nice too! Hopefully everyone had an enjoyable and safe holiday break. It sounds like they did. The students had lots to share with me this morning. . . lots! One of my many Christmas gifts was a "flip camera" to use at school. We, meaning myself and the students, have already started messing with it today. We all love it! Who knew we would become movie stars. :)

Now it is time to return to "normal" as they say. The students are currently at library so I thought I would take some time to type my weekly blog. We have lots going on, much to continue, and learning to be done. As a fun way to return, we are making a video about the Daily 5 and our literacy. There is a new "face" in our classroom (she will be sending a letter home about herself soon). We are very excited to have her as part of our classroom. When I was trying to figure out the best way to show her what we have learned so far and what literacy looks like in 3B, I thought it would be great to have the students show her. Thus. . .we are making a video, and everyone is so super excited! Students will be working with partners planning and developing a video about the components and strategies of the Daily 5 using my new Flip Camera. As mentioned above, we started today messing with the camera. Instead of students writing their January goals, we videotaped ourselves stating our goals. I will be putting that video on my blog and the student blog tonight so be sure to look for it!!!! Fun times!

I will be sending home your students social studies test from right before Christmas. Please take some time to look through it and return it to school tomorrow with your 3B child. Please sign the test as well so I am aware you have looked it over. I was pleased with the results over all, but I could also tell some did not study enough at home. Remember that I send study guides home to help you and your 3B child review the information we have covered. I hope you utilize them and find them useful.

Because we did not get to have our holiday celebration before break due to the weather, we will be having a movie tomorrow, Thursday, afternoon. We feel the students deserved it as they had both a social studies and math test the last days of school and need to be rewarded for their efforts. Since we didn't get it done before break, we decided to do it now. Your 3rd grader may be something to drink for this little celebration if they would like but it must be in a twist top bottle.

Casey's reading calendars for the month of December can be returned tomorrow or Wednesday. I will be sending new ones home for January tomorrow as well. Remember reading every month to the goal gets you a coupon for a pizza slice as well as earns your way to a pizza party in April with Mrs. Kerian. Keep reading!

If the server at school cooperates, which it wasn't doing so well on Monday and Tuesday, report cards will be sent home next Monday. Along with this will be your child's ITBS results. If you have any questions about the results, feel free to call me. We will also be briefly discussing them in February at the next conference (coming soon - wow, where does time go?) Look for these pieces of information to be brought home next Monday.

Let's home the snow that we are suppose to get tonight and tomorrow stays south. . . .we have too much to do and too much fun to have at school to be missing more days due to snow. Is it summer yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment