Monday, September 7, 2009

Progress in All Areas! Fantastic Friday!

I am writing this post on Monday, Labor Day, but it is a reflection of last week. (Just pretend I am writing it last Friday.) After our morning meeting today, we had a discussion on respect and responsibility. The students and I created an "I Chart" if what a respectful classroom looks like. Students did a wonderful job coming up with phrases to finish the statement "I show I am respectful/responsibility by. . ". They also thought about what the teacher does to show respect. I will take a picture of our chart to include in my next post. Everyone signed it in agreement that that is what our classroom will look like. (A teacher can never "assume" students know what to do all the time and review is constantly needed.) We hung it in the classroom so that we can always be reminded about our "job" as student and teacher. Great visual to have! On a different note, I was so excited with the progress the students made in our Read to Self and Read to Someone stamina!!! They increased their Read to Self stamina to 23 MINUTES!!!! Incredible!!!! They also increased their Read to Someone to 13 MINUTES! The students were so excited when I told them how long they made it! Way to go! In the afternoon we started some math stations in which students work in small groups applying math skills we learned in the previous lessons (telling time, measuring, calculator use, reviewing addition and subtraction). The students were sad when it was time to stop and have recess. . .some wanted to stay in from recess! Wow! It was too nice to stay in. During science, the hunt was on looking for living organisms outside by the butterfly garden. The sun was shining so it was wonderful to be outside. But no matter how much we rushed, we couldn't get our Friday podcast done. . .so stay tuned for it next week. The students love to do podcast!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment